top of page

Indonesia court rejects election disputes, upholding president-elect Prabowo's win

Indonesia court rejects election disputes, upholding president-elect Prabowo's win
Former Jakarta Governor and presidential candidate Anies Baswedan speaks during an interview in a car in Tasikmalaya, West Java province, Indonesia, January 4, 2024. /Ajeng Dinar Ulfiana/File Photo

JAKARTA - An Indonesian court on Monday rejected challenges from both losing candidates seeking a re-run of February's presidential election and the disqualification of winner Prabowo Subianto and his running mate, bringing an end to all election disputes.

The Constitutional Court ruled that there was no evidence of systematic fraud and presidential "meddling", nor that state bodies, regional officials and social assistance had been mobilised to sway polls in the world's third-largest democracy.

"The plaintiff's petition has no legal basis in its entirety," said Chief Justice Suhartoyo, announcing the decision for one former candidate, ex-Jakarta governor Anies Baswedan. The other former candidate to dispute the result was Ganjar Pranowo, a former Central Java governor.

Five judges ruled in favour of rejecting both petitions, with three dissenting opinions, he said.

The Constitutional Court's decisions are final and binding and representatives of both former candidates said they would respect the ruling.

Otto Hasibuan, a lawyer for Prabowo's camp, said the ruling was "a victory for all Indonesians."

Prabowo is scheduled to take office in October, replacing the hugely popular President Joko Widodo, better known as Jokowi.

The presidential palace respected the ruling and will help support the transition of the president-elect, palace spokesperson Ari Dwipayana said.

STATE INTERFERENCE

Anies and Ganjar had both separately alleged there was state interference to favour Prabowo, who won by a huge margin. They had also complained that Prabowo's running mate, the current president's 36-year-old son, should not have been allowed to take part.

In court, they had sought Prabowo's disqualification, arguing the government's widespread distribution of social aid, including handouts of rice, cash and fertiliser, in key areas had swayed the vote in his favour.

The administration and Prabowo rejected the allegations. During the court hearings, cabinet members denied that the aid had swayed voters while Prabowo, who won 58% of the vote, has dismissed the claim as baseless.

Judge Arief Hidayat, who cast one of the dissenting votes, argued that the president and state agencies lacked neutrality.

Anies and Ganjar, who won about 25% and 16% of votes respectively, had also alleged that tacit support from Jokowi had gifted Prabowo an unfair advantage.

Jokowi came under intense scrutiny in the election run-up, with critics alleging he abused his position to favour Prabowo, with the aim of preserving his legacy after a decade in charge of Southeast Asia's biggest economy.

The losing candidates also complained to the Constitutional Court about the inclusion of Jokowi's son Gibran Rakabuming Raka as Prabowo's running mate, which was enabled by a decision in October by the same court to change eligibility rules.

The chief justice at the time was Jokowi's brother-in-law, who was later reprimanded by an ethics panel for allowing intervention from an unspecified "external party". He was barred from involvement in election-related cases.

Despite the ethical violation, the judges said on Monday there was no evidence of nepotism or presidential intervention in relation to that decision.

(Writing by Kate Lamb; Editing by Martin Petty, John Mair, Miral Fahmy and Toby Chopra)

Comments


Top Stories

Advertise Now (1).png
Live: Madrid Housing Crisis: Protesters Demand Urgent Safety & Repairs | Spain Economy, Inflation
02:13:36

Live: Madrid Housing Crisis: Protesters Demand Urgent Safety & Repairs | Spain Economy, Inflation

Spaniards rally in Madrid against a severe housing crisis as rents double over a decade. Residents like Blanca Castro endure unsafe conditions—with collapsing ceilings and makeshift kitchens forcing them to wash dishes in bathtubs. The protest calls for urgent reforms and accountability from neglectful property owners, highlighting a social emergency that cannot wait. #MadridProtests #HousingCrisis #SpainHousing #TenantRights #SocialEmergency #RisingRents #UrbanNeglect #MadridCrisis #ProtestForChange #ReformNow Amaravati Today is a news channel that provides the latest updates on world affairs and sports events. It covers a wide range of topics, including international politics, major global incidents, and sports highlights #WorldNews #GlobalInsights #AmaravatiToday #News #InternationalNews #GlobalNews #Politics Subscribe to the Amaravati Today channel and tap the bell icon to receive notifications whenever we go live https://www.youtube.com/@Amaravati_Today_Official Follow Amaravati Today on x or Twitter: https://x.com/amaravati_today Follow Amaravati Today on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amaravatitoday Follow Amaravati Today on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/stories/amaravatitodayofficial/ Follow Amaravati Today on Rumble: https://rumble.com/user/Amaravatitoday Follow Amaravati Today on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/amaravati-today/ Follow Amaravati Today on WhatsApp: https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaHWoNe5q08TF4NFKv3d Website: https://www.amaravati.today/ Source: Reuters
9.png
Live Streams | Facts | Analysis | Explainers | Breaking News

Get in Touch

Manikondu Pvt Ltd
SY. 130P & 115/1P, ISB Rd
Financial District, Gachibowli
Hyderabad, India 500032
letstalk {at} amaravati (dot) today

Follow us on

  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • Youtube
  • Facebook
  • Instagram

© 2024 by Amaravati Today | Privacy Policy | Imprint & Dsiclaimer | CIN: U70200TS2024PTC184435

bottom of page